Natalie In Panama – Week 22: In Which She Has A Fever

Okay, so the main thing this week is that I’ve been sick all week. I got soaked on Monday. We had an activity with the zone and they did water balloons. I was only half soaked, Gamez and Vargas were soaked in total. But afterwards the internet I went to was like an ice box [EDITOR’S NOTE: I don’t know what she means by internet. I think it is a typo because she is sick.]. I was freezing. Then we got on the first metro bus that said Albrook (the bus terminal) but it turned out to be one that basically went through all the city. The buses are air-conditioned as well, and really cold. So, it was about two hours of feeling like an ice cube. I was with Maldonado the whole time, because we did divisions. It turned out good, because she needed to talk and trusted me enough to confide in me.

Anyway, the next day I woke up with a little bit of a cold. Of course, I assumed if I took my cold medicine and went to bed early, I’d be fine. Wrong!

The next day we had our ward missionary meeting and I had no energy to deal with anything. The ward mission leader is very tiring for me to deal with. So, we went back to the house to make lunch, I took a nap, and didn’t feel better. Gamez called Rachel, one of our youth who is 18, and she came over to be my companion. She ended up watching a movie, and then painting her nails and playing with the hair straightener. It was really funny, because her hair is naturally really straight, so it made no difference. Then her older sister May came over and brought me dinner.

Thursday, we went to the zone meeting. They talked about needing to have unity in our companionships. It was really good. Afterwards, we came home had lunch and went out to work. We got in two lessons and then went to dinner. We had dinner at the Evans’ (they’re the ones who brought me dinner on Wednesday). Anyway, one of the zetta ellas (zone leaders) was with us because the other companionship was in divisions. So Hernandez (the zetta ella) got to dress up in mola (the koona traditional clothing). It was awesome, but, sadly, I didn’t have my camera. They also gave us cookies with smiley faces and a red nose on them. They were adorable.

Friday, I ended up staying home again. I hate being sick and not able to work, but, luckily, I have a good comp who insists that I take care of myself. If I had my choice, I’d be out working no matter what. So, because Gamez I insisted that I take care of myself. We stayed home and I slept all day.

Saturday, we had a branch meeting. We talked about how we could bring up the attendance of the branch. We’re going to try and reach out to our less actives and get them to come back. Hopefully it will work.

That night, we went to visit some people, but they weren’t home, so we went to visit a family in the ward that the youngest child is old enough to be baptized. Only her older siblings are members. We actually encountered her mom, and got her mom agree to a baptism date for herself as well as permission for her daughter to be baptized. We might be able to make another family in the ward complete! That would be awesome!

Sunday, I woke up feeling better, but that only lasted only until the second or third hour of church. Gamez saw I wasn’t feeling well so we went home after church to rest for an hour. Then I got up and said a prayer because I could tell I didn’t feel good, but I knew we had a lesson appointment and I did not want to miss it. It’s the mom that we just got a baptism date with, and we can only teach her Sundays. We got to the lesson and it seemed to go well, we gave her a pamphlet on the Restoration and a Book of Mormon. I think a motivating factor for her will be her three children who are members.

We went to dinner after that, and then I ended up throwing up after dinner. I think it was partly the fever. We went home and I had to sleep layered in my sweater and a blanket from my comp. The fever seemed to break though, so that’s good. But today, my stomach isn’t feeling well either, so I’m going to go get a blessing. I don’t want another week of being sick. All I can guess is the Lord is trying to tell me to have patience with myself, because I really have no patience for when I am sick.

On a happier note, Isabela will be baptized by her older brother on the 22 because he’ll be old enough then, and then her mother will be baptized on the 2 of May. (This is the family I was talking about earlier). It will be awesome if this goes according to plan, because then they will be more united.

Oh, and I realized this week that more of the members are turning to me when they need to know something. I have the confidence of the members! That’s an important step here.

Anyway, love you all. Hope your all doing great, and don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.

Love Natalie


E-mail Hermana Natalie Palmer directly at

Even a short, encouraging e-mail would be great!

If you would like to write to Hermana Palmer, here’s the mission mailing address:

Mision Panama

Carrasquilla Entrega General 0834


Republica def Panama


One thought on “Natalie In Panama – Week 22: In Which She Has A Fever

  1. Aw man! I hope she feels better soon. It really is the worst to be sick on the mission!
    Oh and I would guess what she meant by “Internet” was whatever place she went to email home last week. In Utah I went to family history libraries but anywhere else they usually go to public libraries or Internet cafes. 🙂

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s